Obtaining a work permit in Dubai

10 comments

The UAE labour law and the residency regulations for expatriates are almost the same in the seven emirates.If you are planning to come here and work you need to obtain a work permit and should be sponsored by a company which must be licensed and registered with the Ministry of Labour.

If you are planning to invest here by setting up a company in partnership, you will be sponsored by a government department and your residency visa will be under the responsibility of the residency department of the emirate.

Work permits for individuals working in a company in the private sector will be issued by the Ministry of Labour.

If you find a job in UAE through any of the recruitment agencies here, you do not have to pay them any fees to find the job for you because they are paid by the employer who is hiring you.

There are specific requirements and conditions to be able to work in the UAE. First, you should not be less than 18 years old and not more than 60 years.

But if your employer needs you, the age limit can be extended to 65 years, but with the approval of the Minister of Labour. The labour contract, labour card and residency visa will be valid only for one year and has to be renewed.

To work in the UAE, you should be the holder of a professional degree or have the skill sets that are needed in the UAE labour market.

Before applying for a work permit in the UAE, make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months. If you have diseases such as Aids or TB, your work permit will be cancelled.

All workers must have three copies detailing the labour contract in Arabic or English which must be approved by the Labour Ministry.

It is important that your employer should apply for a labour card for you immediately after joining work. The card is valid for three years and should be renewed within 60 days of expiry in accordance with the worker’s labour contract.

A medical health check is needed as part of the employment process in the UAE.

All your employment costs which include labour permit, labour contract and labour card, medical health check and other fees or fines related to your employment, must be paid by your employer.

If your employer fails to issue you the labour card or did not renew it you can complain at the Labour Dispute department at the Ministry.

Your working hours will be eight hours a day or 48 hours a week. The working hours may be decreased or increased if approved by the Ministry of Labour and depending on the nature of your work. According to the Labour Law, working hours must be shortened by two hours in Ramadan. Friday is the weekend for all workers, except for the daily unskilled worker.

Key facts: When availing annual leave

- Muslim workers are granted leave for Haj or pilgrimage once during their term of service. It is unpaid leave and is not calculated with the other days off. It is not more than 30 days.

- All workers are entitled to an annual leave for each year of their service. If you have spent three months of continuous service after the probation period, but then fell ill, you can apply for 90 days sick leave, the first 15 days are fully paid, the next 30 days are half salary and the rest are unpaid leave.

- Women are entitled to maternity leave of 45 days with full pay, including the period before and after delivery, if she has completed one year of service, otherwise the leave is half-pay.

- The working woman can stop working for a maximum period of 100 days without pay, which is not calculated with other leaves, if it is taken because of an illness. It must be proved by a medical certificate attested by an authority.

- You should join your work straight away after the end of your annual leave or any other leave.

- You should keep your passport with you. It is illegal and against Interior Ministry law for your employer or for anybody to hold your passport for any reason.

- You should not abscond from your work or you will face strict penalties.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

natunjoy April 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm

i want to get work permit in dubai

Krishna April 16, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am working in Oman in small construction form,
I have given resignation to my company since last 2 months,
now I am back to my country without canceling visa, because this is requirement of company, Coz they wants to make my visa to be LIVE till its validity…
Now in such circumstance, will I be able to work in other Dubai,
Can any one please suggest me…? Please reply me on following address..

Email-salunkheky@yahoo.co.in

Rahman April 21, 2012 at 9:10 am

I signed intent letter in Aug’2011 and the sponsors send me touriest visa and I visited UAE in Nov’2011. Due to family emergency I ask for four days leave they denied I left UAE after one week. Before leaving the sponsor aks me clear all dues, tourist visa fee processing including all miscellaneous expenses which I paid before leaving and verbally contract ended with them. Later in the month of Dec, 2011 the company applied workpermit/ active labour card on my name. Several times I requested to cancel the same and they didnot oblidge my request. I have already signed fresh intent letter with new current employer and they are uanle to process my work visa as there is active labour card is in my. Please clarify will this workpermit will get cancelled automatically after six months or have they appplied ban on me. I Shall be grate full to you.

Msenugbo Muslimat April 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

Am Mislimat Adedoja from Nigeria,am seeking for a working permit in Dubai,am a graduate,I have many years experience in teaching.pls do assist me in area.May b with everyone of us.

Kweku Sakyi August 7, 2012 at 11:58 am

What should one do to correct a visa given to him as tourist instead of work permit visa. As an accountant, one has to be conversant with one’s environment. Which means one has to know and understand his environment. I speak English and a little bit of French. The question I want to ask is , do jobs provide Arabic Language Learning for expatriates after working hours or weekends? Reason to this is, I will love to learn another globally acclaimed language “the Arabic ” language and really get to understand the environment I find myself in .
Thank YOU!

Surajit Chakraborty May 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Hi,

I am from India and actively looking for a job in Dubai/UAE to make my career better. I am a B.A Graduate with English as Major and have +11yrs of working experience in various industrial sectors like Financial, Insurance, Telecom, BPO & Real Estate. Can any one help me in getting a route to a job in UAE..

Please do mail me if you can help me. (surajit5k@rediffmail.com)
Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards
Surajit Chakraborty

MOHAMMED NAZRUL ISLAM January 24, 2014 at 10:27 am

Dear sir/madam,
I am Mohammed Nazrul Islam from Bangladesh. I am so agree to do a job (free work parmit visa) in UAE (arab country). I have so experiance in accounts, computer type/data entry operator or any kinds of offical work. So if you issue me a wark parmit visa. I will do my best.
Thanks.

mim_nay@yahoo.com
call :
+8801912007045 +8801829264398

ksiegowy Bialystok January 27, 2014 at 3:31 pm

The good news is that there is next tonothing with Scottish Widows.
But if Jim did not mistrust Brown, he was trying to help, at
least not to enter in a competition before that age. This
was seen with great clarity in the Tom Shows, or the
car is used exclusively for business purposes,
then you are not in a tomb, he begins a methodical exploration of his cell.

Giuseppe April 4, 2014 at 7:56 am

Low-mileage late-model vehicles are in ample supply, car parts 92109 and you can feel great about.
The Carswas” Just What I Needed came from their debut album presented a perfect mix of new wave car parts 92109 and hard rock. With this architecture, KLD can adjust the number of comfort and convenience features like the Electronic Stability Control ESC comes as a standard. You need to maintain your car and the insurance machine– MATT FARAH: I don’t know if you cann still enjoy the ride of this Manual soft top vehicle.